Joel C. Simon
T: 713.654.5152 F: 713.654.4039 email@example.com
Download Vcard Download Bio
AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Product Liability Litigation
- Mass Tort Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
Joel Simon is a member in Fernelius Simon PLLC and has been with the firm since its inception. Previously, Joel was a senior associate in the litigation department at Fulbright & Jaworski LLP from 2004 to 2010.
In his career, Joel has achieved numerous trial and appellate court victories for plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal court. At his former firm, Joel was routinely selected to serve as the only associate on multiple trial teams, including the teams that handled three jury trials arising out of one of the largest refinery explosions on the Gulf Coast. Additionally, as a volunteer for the City of Houston, Joel served as first-chair prosecutor in more than 20 jury trials that resulted in guilty verdicts.
Joel’s talents have been used for individuals, small corporations, and Fortune 100 companies in all types and sizes of cases. Joel has substantial experience and success in all phases of litigation, including trial.
Joel’s engagements include:
- Successfully defended a multinational energy company in a five-week trial in federal court in which the plaintiffs sought a quarter of a billion dollars in damages, but were only awarded a few thousand.
- Represented an international energy company in two-month trial that resulted in a take-nothing verdict for the plaintiffs.
- Served on defense team for a large firm in a five-week trial that resulted in a complete defense verdict.
- Secured a directed verdict at trial for a private investment company and individual defendant involving allegations of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Achieved dismissal based on personal-jurisdiction grounds in federal court, which was upheld on appeal to the Fifth Circuit.
- Negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of a pipeline operator in commercial litigation involving alleged contamination of jet fuel.
- Tried and negotiated favorable settlement for private clients in their lawsuit for wrongful death.
- Obtained summary judgment for a prominent financial firm in a breach-of-contract lawsuit, which was upheld on appeal.
- Favorably resolved multiple product-liability and deceptive-trade-practice claims for client that manufactures electrical and lighting equipment.
- Obtained confidential settlement for corporate client in its lawsuit based on fraud and intentional misrepresentations.
- Successfully defended company in commercial litigation filed by a purchaser of offshore oil and gas interests who asserted numerous common-law and statutory claims.
- Achieved multiple, confidential settlements in indemnity actions filed for Fortune 100 companies against subsequent operators of onshore E&P operations.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Rising Star (2014, 2017)
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Co-author, “Effective Representation in Difficult Times: Assisting Your Client in Times of Crisis,” Spring 2009, ABA Mass Tort Journal
- Speaker, “Are you Ready? Managing the Major Corporate Crisis,” Texas CLE Presentation, 2012, 2013
2004–Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, University of Houston Law Center
2001–Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, Ohio University
Joel was admitted to practice law in Texas in 2004 and also is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.